This is Haunted Mansion, and this is Haunted Mansion Holiday .Before we get into details of the differences, this is a brief history of The Haunted Mansion. The Haunted Mansion, which opened in 1969, was originally going to have a church and a graveyard on the outside. It was also going to be falling apart and would be walk-through. Walt Disney did not want it to be dilapidated. He based it on Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, CA.
The Hatbox Ghost is a ghost whose face disappears from time to time and reappears in his hatbox. It was taken out in 1969 because you could see the head in both areas. He was put back in early 2015.
The Hatbox Ghost in 1969, 2016 and during The Haunted Mansion Holiday:
Disney started Haunted Mansion Holiday in 2001.
The Haunted Mansion has the largest Pepper’s Ghost in the world. It is the dancing ghosts’ room. Pepper’s Ghost works by shining a light on something. In front of what the light is shining on, you put a sheet of plexiglass or other clear material. The result is a ghostly image somewhere in front of the plexiglass.
Some of the differences on the inside of The Haunted Mansion Holiday are:
- The raven that follows you is now a toy.
- The suit of armor waving his sword now has a pumpkin head.
- The floating candles in the endless are now replaced with Jack’s dog, Zero.
- The opening casket is replaced with a toy building the casket as a gift.
- The clock has a tag that says: To Leota.
- Leota now tells you the thirteen Days of Christmas even though there are only twelve.
- Instead of items floating around her, there are cards floating.
- The dancing ghost scene is Christmas themed.
- The attic scene now stores Christmas presents.
- Constance is replaced with a snake swallowing presents.
- The owl on the trees is now the toy building the casket.
- The caretaker is replaced with Jack Skellington.
- Some of the zombies popping out of the tombstones have Santa Claus hats.
- The singing busts are now singing pumpkins.
- The hitchhiking ghosts are now the trick-or-treaters: Lock, Shock and Barrel.
- The ghost that will follow you home is now a Christmas present.
Now that you see the difference in the scenery, there is also a difference in the music. The music is changed from Grim Grinning Ghosts song to Kidnap The Sandy Claws. If you don’t have Disneyland or Disney World passes, you can compare the two through YouTube. You can watch the normal Haunted Mansion here. You can also watch the Haunted Mansion Holiday here.
Whichever one you ride, whether it be at Disneyland , or Disney World, normal, or holiday, the ride is great! Tell me which one you like more in the comments.
If you would like to read about more visits to Disneyland, then see these posts: